Friday, 10 August 2007

Retrospect of a Decade (Part 6)

Another change over the past decade that has often been overlooked is the weather. Agree with me or not, the weather of Hong Kong has become drier both in terms of humidity and the volume of rainfall. I remember when I was a child the summer was characterised by heavy downpours and strong typhoons from time to time and an unbearable level of dampness as if you could clasp your hands and squeeze some water out of the air you breathe. That's why some scientists have warned that Hong Kong and the southern province of Guangdong will become a desert by the next century if no effective measure is taken to prevent the extreme but extraordinary weather.

While I love the dry winds and clear blue sky as much as anyone else does, just like what I experienced last May on a breakaway on Lamma Island, I feel sad that summer is losing its colour to look no different from winter. Don't you remember how outrageously warm it was last winter? I didn't even bother to put on anything made of wool. Not even a sweater. Just by putting on a long-sleeve T-shirt would make me sweat like a pig. I was really upset about this, not because I didn't have to put my winter clothes on, but because I have lost the comfort under the sunshine and cold winds in winter. The chill from the north reminds me of warm memories of the laughter at reunions, the comfort of wrapping myself in a thick quilt, as well as the extraordinary enjoyment of hot food and drinks. A chill-less winter without any wool garments is just too appalling.

No doubt that a complicated combination of factors that has come into existence for decades contributes to the climate change. Yet I wonder what we have done to realise how serious the problem has become, let alone fix it. That's why air-conditioners of all brands have been sold out this summer due to the record-high sizzling heat. We are too used to find the handiest solutions to our immediate comfort without even thinking for a second about the root cause of the problem and how to address it.

That's simply not the way forward, if we are going to make Hong Kong a better home not for us, but for our younger generations.

I really wonder why the green groups spend all their time and effort criticising the power companies of polluting the air of Hong Kong. Don't you think the some 600,000 motor vehicles running on the streets of Hong Kong every day bear some sort of responsibility? Are unleaded auto fuels and liquefied petroleum gas the only thing we can do? How about emissions trading with Guangdong province when most of us blame the manufacturing plants there for the poor air quality? What have the Government and green groups and all other parties concerned have done to encourage the use of public transport and avoid driving unless absolutely necessary? What about those guys who like driving more as a means of showing-off than a transport requirement?

Show me the facts and figures and tell me that I'm terribly wrong here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be published after moderation by the blogger to avoid spam messages. Thank you in advance for your understanding.