Sunday, 1 July 2012

Fifteen Years on…

Today marks the 15th anniversary of the political handover of Hong Kong from Britain to China.

Surely much has happened over the past five years, since I wrote about the first decade after the handover. But today so little seems memorable.

Despite all the lousy tumult, I have been relatively calm these days. Not that I'm indifferent to what is going on, but frustration and helplessness seems to have taken over somewhat.

Over the past few years Hong Kong has deteriorated rapidly on various fronts. The local economy has shown little vitality and diversity but an even stronger inclination towards reliance on China. Like it or not, forging closer ties with China is inevitable, but it doesn't mean that we have to put all our bet in it. More importantly, we need to maintain our integrity and composure even when dealing with the largest benefactor. Being rich and powerful does not warrant any superiority. If we truly want to be respected, we have to respect ourselves by upholding our dignity and integrity.

Thinking about the future of Hong Kong, my hometown, has often left me speechless and lost in thoughts these days. When I came across the following scene this evening, it somehow resonates well with what I feel deep inside.

2 comments:

  1. Samson5:16 am

    Geopolitical reality prevails. Hong Kong has been lucky enough to have enjoyed 15 years of relatively “No Change”. Looking at the contemporary Chinese history, in the violently “liberated regions” of China the RETUNING of the decadent old society almost began immediately since 1949 and practically completed around 1957; and in the “peacefully liberated Tibet” the opportunity for the complete RETUNING occurred in 1959. Fifteen years passed when Hong Kong people only feel they are being seriously RETUNED.

    I understand your emotions on Hong Kong where you possibly lived your whole life. Yet I do not have any suggestions to you on what you should do or could do. In my book, a peace in mind is more important in life than any material comfort and financial prosperity.

    When I returned to Shanghai, the city I was born, after years of absence, I no long found the Shanghai I once had. It is forever lost.

    Samson,
    Ontario, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hong Kong in which I was born and bred was long lost too. It would be a serious and regrettable understanding to say there has been no change after 1997. Hong Kong is always changing and the real question is how. Unfortunately we haven't been changing for good. It is just incomprehensible to me that so many people only came to realise this harsh fact in recent years. Actually the process has begun way before 1997.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It will be published after moderation by the blogger to avoid spam messages. Thank you in advance for your understanding.