Thursday, 13 June 2013

Turning Sour

When a relationship turns sour, what can we do?

Apparently the sensible way is to find the problem and fix it. But when it comes to dealing with human emotions and relationships, it is never as easy as it seems on paper.

As the old saying goes, "It takes two hands to clap." Only when both parties in a relationship realise that something has gone wrong would there be a better chance of remedy and reconciliation.

But what if only one party feels offended when the other shows no sign of realisation, or simply doesn't seem to be bothered?

Perhaps the offended party is over-sensitive, too narrow-minded or whatever, you name it. Yet this doesn't mean the offended hasn't done anything trying to break the deadlock.

I have been forcing myself to think hard again and again what I have done, to see if I have made some terrible mistakes in the first place that turned people away. But there doesn't seem any. I have also been trying to forget, let go and regain my composure, but when I attended a gathering lined up by an old friend two weeks ago, I realised I wasn't really ready for that. Everything I saw and heard felt like a nuisance. The recent coldness and detachment run into me only reinforced my gut feelings that something has gone wrong and a long-time friendship turned sour.

Perhaps it sounds somewhat stupid, but I am stilled bothered, and don't know what to do.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:03 am

    Drifting apart between friends/partners/companions, even spouses, is not unusual these days. It may not be anyone’s fault. People simply outlived their mutual attractiveness, common interests and ideas. Life goes on. People go away to explore new avenues or to broaden their experience of life.

    These may not be comforting words to sooth your wounds. Lick your pains and face another day.

    Samson
    Ontario, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it just takes longer than expected to get over it.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. It will be published after moderation by the blogger to avoid spam messages. Thank you in advance for your understanding.